Approve Home Medical Services (AHMS) offers an extensive variety of quality therapy and rehabilitative services to meet the diversified physical, social, and emotional needs of each patient. Our experience and expertise, combined with commitment and dedication to meeting each patient’s individual therapy, nursing, and personal care needs has helped establish our agency as one of the state’s leading medical home care providers.
AHMS therapy staff consists of trained and experienced professionals who are certified in their areas of expertise. The staff includes physical, occupational, and speech therapists who work closely with on staff registered and licensed nurses, certified nurses aides, and a social worker. All therapy is provided under the direction of your physician. the AHMS therapy department uses a comprehensive recovery team approach to treatment. Our staff carefully assesses your individual needs. The goal of each treatment program is to help each individual function at their highest potential.
Physical therapy treatment is particularly helpful to patients with orthopedic, neuro-psychiatric, and arthritic condition. It is also helpful to those who suffer from cerebral palsy or peripheral nerve or spinal cord injuries; to those who have had strokes; amputations; industrial or automotive accidents; and to hemiplegics and paraplegics.
Physical therapy objectives include:
- Increasing and maintaining strength and endurance
- Increasing range of motion in joints
- Increasing coordination
- Decreasing pain
- Decreasing muscle spasms
- Promoting independence in transfer activities
- Preventing contractures and deformities
- Decreasing abnormal sensory feedback
- Correcting posture
- Decreasing gait deviations
- Promoting independence in ambulation (walking)
Occupational therapy is available to restore, reinforce and enhance the skills and functions essential to achieve independence in personal care and activities of daily living.
Intensive instruction and assistance is provided in the following areas:
- Performing daily activities, such as eating, dressing, and bathing
- Using assistive/adaptive equipment as needed
- Developing and maintaining work and leisure activities
- Improving joint mobility, muscle strength and physical endurance
- Fabricating and monitoring splints and orthopaedic devices
Speech therapy specializes in assessing speech and language disorders and provides the appropriate therapy to promote maximum speech functioning. Some of the services offered include:
- Treatment of swallowing disorders
- Developing proper control of articulating, reasoning, and respiratory system for better speech
- Conducting hearing screenings and making referrals for audiological services
- Improving receptive and expressive language skills
- Selecting and developing communication systems when necessary